Tuesday, 19 September 2017
Sunday, 6 August 2017
The man who shot the gun in the Ozubulu church attack spoke Igbo, he is not a Boko Haram member- state police commissioner says
The Anambra state Commissioner of Police, Garba Umar, has dismissed claims that the massacre at the St. Philip Catholic church in Ekwusigo local government area of the state earlier today was carried out by Boko Haram members. Some members of the state had earlier speculated that the attack was carried out by members of the terrorist group.
In an interview with newsmen, Garba who visited the scene after the attack that left eight persons dead, said the person who fired the gunshot, spoke igbo during the attack.
"From our findings, it is very clear that the person who carried the attack must be an indigene of the area. The man after shooting at his targeted victims still went on a shooting spree, killing and wounding other worshippers. Information available to police showed that the attacker was speaking Igbo at the time he was firing at worshippers.” he said
Igbo leaders and traders in Lagos have warned the director of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, not to come to Lagos state to stage any of his rallies. Kanu last month, disclosed his plans to come to Lagos.
Speaking with Sunday Telegraph, Chief Chiemeka Ibeh of Alaba Amalgamated Traders Association, said the IPOB leader should leave Igbos in Lagos alone because his visit will create the impression that Igbos in Lagos are supporting Kanu and IPOB activities.
“He should keep his Biafra in the East where our unemployed youths are following him all over the place, not knowing what they are dabbling into. Most of these youth do not understand what Biafra is about and what it has cost Igbo people. Since his actions led to the quit notice by the Arewa youths, I expected Kanu to have paid upfront all transport companies on the northern route to be conveying Igbo people who might be interested in coming back to the East, but he has not paid a kobo to anybody. Is he bothered about the economic wellbeing of the people whom his actions could dislocate?”
Also speaking, the leader in the Auto Spare Parts & Machinery Dealers Association (ASPAMDA), Chief Alex Ejiofor, asked Nnamdi Kanu to desist from distracting struggling Igbo people from concentrating on finding their daily bread.
“If his father did not tell him my father told me that we were reduced to the biblical ‘hewers of wood and drawers of water’ in Nigeria at the end of the war in 1970. It is true that we are still suffering from the effects of that war till today, but Igbos in all parts of Nigeria have made a lot of progress and cannot afford to return to that stage where an Igbo who left over a million British Pounds in his account and ran home for safety at the outbreak of the war, was given 20 Pounds in 1970 after the no victor, no vanquished declaration. What is Kanu thinking about that? And if I may ask, what is the volume of Kanu’s investment either in the South-East or in other parts of the country? Does he not know that he is putting those investments at risk and endangering the source of livelihood of other people? He should perish the thought of coming to Lagos, and if I may advise, he should change strategy or join forces with Ohanaeze. He has done well by bringing the marginalisation of the South-East to the front burner again, but should sustain the discussion without causing his people harm” he said
Culled from LIB
Thursday, 15 June 2017
The long awaited and much talked about boxing match between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC star Conor McGregor has now been made official and fixed for August 26, 2017 in Las Vegas. Mayweather confirmed the fight on his Instagram account as he shared a video poster of both fighters with the caption, "It's official".
Acting President Yemi Osinbajo Wednesday evening had a Consultation session with Leaders of Thought from the South Eastern region of the Country at the State House in Abuja. The meeting is in continuation of his consultations with leaders of thoughts from the North and South East regions following the recent ultimatum by Northern Youths for Igbos to vacate the region. Tuesday, Osinbajo met with the Northern leaders. While speaking to the South East leaders, Osinbajo said:
"Let there be no doubt whatsoever of the resolve of government to ensure that no one will be allowed to get away with making speeches that can cause division or violence. We will take very seriously any attempts to cause violence or to disrupt the peace of Nigeria. And we will not tolerate such". He stressed that the Federal government is resolute in its determination to protect every Nigerian, everywhere in the country.
Yesterday I kicked off a series of consultations and engagements with Leaders of Thought from Northern Nigeria. It was a useful meeting
Today’s meeting, the second in the series, is with you, Leaders of Thought from the Southeast.
After this, I will meet with Religious and Traditional Leaders from the North and from the Southeast, on Friday and Monday respectively. And then, in the final consultation, next week Thursday, all of us, from North and South, will come together in the same room, for further engagement and consultation.
I also plan at some time in between to meet with the Nigerian Governors Forum.
These consultations are necessary, and important, because of recent events in the country. You are all aware that there have been loud and sometimes hostile agitations by youth in the southeast, calling for secession of the region from Nigeria. Then there was the recent ultimatum issued by a group of youth from the North, asking all south-easterners living in the North to leave by October 1 this year.
Both of these expressions and agitations from both sides, have been attended with some controversial and hateful vituperations including patently illegal and violence-inducing remarks.
I firmly believe that we ought to address these agitations and proclamations urgently and decisively. Burying our heads in the sand and expecting the storm to blow over of their own accord is not an option.
But equally not reasonable is falling for the temptation for tit-for-tat. It has never worked or moved us closer to a solution or resolution.
And so it is in our bid, as government, to deal with these pressing issues and grievances, that we have convened this series of consultations, with various groups. We will never shy away from the responsibility to ensure and uphold the peace and security of Nigeria.
It is in my view the role and responsibility of those privileged in society to be leaders to chart a progressive and lofty course for the ordinary people. As leaders, we carry the burden to secure the peace, progress and prosperity of our people, and that is why our voices ought to be heard and heard loud and clear at moments like this in the defense and articulation of what is truly beneficial to the nation and the people, and what is right and patriotic.
Our dear nation has gone through some really difficult times. We have survived bloody coups, several rounds of ethno-religious violence, and emerged from a long and bloody Civil War. All of us here have seen close-up what violence can do to a country, and I believe I speak for us all when I say that no one here is keen to see Nigeria embroiled in violence or bloodshed of any kind.
Especially not when we are only just emerging from a brutal insurgency that has consumed more than 20,000 of our brothers and sisters and children, as well as the better part of a decade.
One thing is clear – violence and war are terrible things. They are easy to start but near impossible to end. Indeed you’re all aware of the Igbo proverb that says that “A man who rushes into battle does not realize that battle entails death.” We are witnesses to the unspeakable devastation that war continues to inflict across the world. No one who has seen the horrors of war – even just on television – would wish it on their worst enemy.
It is also clear that wars sometimes start, not with bullets, but with words. Hateful, incendiary speech, opening floodgates of blood. The tongue, like the pen, is often mightier than the sword – because it is what pushes the sword into action. When we throw words like stones in a marketplace we do not know who or what it will hit.
Knowing this, under no conditions whatsoever should we tolerate or excuse or justify hate speech or hateful conduct of any kind, especially where such is illegal. Let me of course acknowledge that as part of living together in this space called Nigeria, misunderstandings and frustrations are inevitable. Because resources are limited there will always be a striving to get what is perceived as the best seat at the table.
All of that is normal and to be expected, especially in a democracy, like ours. A healthy democracy ought to be a theatre of energetic striving by all parties and stakeholders. But things should never descend to a level where mutual suspicions override the desire to live together in peace and harmony.
Yesterday I made it very clear that hate or divisive speech, or divisive behaviour, where it is illegal, will be met with the full force of the law. I will say it again today: Let there be no doubt whatsoever of the resolve of government to ensure that no one will be allowed to get away with making speeches that can cause division or violence. We will take very seriously any attempts to cause violence or to disrupt the peace of Nigeria. And we will not tolerate such.
We are also resolute in our determination to protect every Nigerian, everywhere in the country.
We will do everything within our power to defend and uphold the terms of our constitution, which declares that we are one nation under God.
It also guarantees the free mobility of people, goods and services throughout the country, as well as full residence rights for every citizen in all and any parts of the land of their choice. It is also the aspiration of the Constitution to ensure a country in which, and I quote, “loyalty to the nation shall override sectional loyalties.”
And it is the responsibility of the Government to create the conditions for the attainment of these ideals. There is something that President Buhari is fond of saying: that without peace and security there can be no development. We cannot develop a country that is not in the first place safe and secure for all its people. For this reason we take extremely seriously our constitutional responsibilities as your government.
Those responsibilities also include listening to, consulting, and engaging with you; giving every citizen and every part of the Federation a sense of belonging and significance. And that is why we are here today.
I expect that we will be frank and constructive in all our deliberation and discussion. This is an important moment for all of us, and I hope that at the end of it we will all be satisfied that we have accomplished something significant.
By the grace of God we will leave to coming generations a peaceful, secure and prosperous nation; a nation in whom all citizens, regardless of age, gender, and ethnic/religious affiliations, will feel deep and enduring pride.
I now would like to listen to your views and interact with you on these issues as we together consider the future of our great country.
Thank you very much. May God continue to bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
Wednesday, 10 May 2017
Months ago, shortly after Nicki Minaj broke up with Meek Mill rumours began circulating that she is dating Nas. So far, neither of the parties involved have denied or confirmed the rumour but Nicki recently shared a photo on Instagram that fuels the rumours.
In the photo, Nicki was pictured leaning into Nas as they enjoyed dinner at the Sweet Chicks Life restauranAt in Brooklyn. She captioned it:
"Only KINGS recognize QUEENS. @sweetchicklife has the best food congrats @nas,” Minaj wrote on IG.
The pair looked too cozy to be just friends and fans picked up on their body language and commented that they are now an item. Some even called her relationship an upgrade from her former with Meek Mill.
Earlier in the year, when Remy Ma released the ShETHER track to diss Nicki Minaj, there were rumours that Nas shut down the track, claiming she used his "ETHER" beat without permission - a move most people interpreted was made to stand up for Nicki who he was dating secretly. There are also reports that the couple has been making music together.
Forbes has just released its annual list of the top 5 richest Hip Hop artistes of the year 2017. According to Forbes,
'We follow the same procedures used to calculate our list of the world’s billionaires: looking at past earnings, valuing current holdings, leafing through financial documents and talking to analysts, attorneys, managers, other industry players and even some of the moguls themselves to find the details'.